Monday, October 31, 2011

A chilly Halloween

I will keep today's post brief, since I sent home a long email today with many details that I would have otherwise posted here. I will take this space (and time) to talk a bit more about some things we are doing in class over the next couple of weeks.

Health is one of the oft-forgotten subjects, overshadowed by its siblings Language Arts, Math and Science. However, I believe it is of increasing importance as students move into Grade Five and beyond. This unit in health talks about interpersonal relationships, and proper ways to give and receive compliments and criticism. I have been talking about this at length with the class, and it will be an integral part of a project they will be doing in about a week from now.

In math we are moving right along with decimals, specifically the rounding, addition and subtraction of units, tenths, hundredths and thousandths. For those who have time, it is always worth practicing math on the sites linked on the right sidebar (over there -------->). I know it's Halloween, but I also assigned homework tonight that will ask students to use numbers from their trick-or-treating to solve a problem.

I am participating in Movember, an international movement to increase awareness of men's health issues and raise money for cancer research. I will be talking about this in class, as we address ideas about voluntarism, community involvement and social action. If you want to track my progress, go to mobro.co/MrPaterson. Should be fun!

We have a science test next Monday. Hooray!! I will be sending home a study guide this week, so no need to panic on the home front. We will start moving along more quickly in science as we finish up our busy unit in social studies.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment