Thursday, November 17, 2011

Back from the Mainland

After a lovely few days visiting my grandparents in Ontario, I'm back in class. It seems as though the class didn't miss a beat, left in the capable hands of Ms. Bishop. They continued to move along in the curriculum over the 3 days I was absent, and completed some important evaluation pieces in the meantime.
Our Social Studies projects are now completely finished, and students are most of the way through a cumulative health project. This project has them creating a mobile that reflects themselves in a variety of ways past, present and future. Students have shown some ingenious ways of demonstrating their interests, strengths, weaknesses and relationships through text, visuals and other media.
Today's Question du Jour is about what we are doing in Math. To help comprehension, it is in English with a supporting video on KidBlog. I would encourage all students to take a look at this video again, as we will be applying the principles therein to decimal subtraction tomorrow. I also told students that we will be using their french reading material in class tomorrow, so it was crucial to read in French tonight.
I don't have much more to add right now. I'm wading through the things the kids did while I was away, and finishing up my first term reports (if you can believe it). Parent-teacher meetings are coming up in a few weeks, so in preparation we will be doing some introspection activities in class to encourage the students to reflect on their learning and set goals for the rest of the year. Some of these activities will be take-home projects, so expect to see them popping up in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment